Thursday, September 17, 2009

Just another Bong movie…

Antoheen – Endless… that was the film title. After a long time, after an endless wait I could watch a Bengali movie and relish it to my hearts content. I actually saw it a month ago, when I was enjoying my separation blues. I just had left office then, was having no job other than lazing around. And then I resorted to YOU… youtube, that’s like my cinema hall since I have reconnected my PC with the cyber highway, thanks to the ORTEL broadband connection and its 512 kbps speed which is making streaming superfast all the time. Bengali movies are not so great these days, that’s the common comments you can hear if you are in the crowd that comes out from the exit of any Bengali theatre hall after a show of contemporary commercial movie. That’s why people love to be happy with art films. At least, they are not boring, though people somehow associate boredom with art films. The only problem that I find in art films, and more specifically, in recent Bengali art films is that they always try to focus on human relationships… before marriage, after marriage, extra marital … all sorts. It’s always ok sometimes, but too much focus on extra marital affairs is taking a toll on public, I feel they don’t try to depict newer ideas, innovation has taken its wings. But here is one movie, a bit different in its style, a slightly different in conveying its message. Yes it’s also about relationships, the point of view that some relations are not as simple and as predictable as people can think of. But this didn’t have that escapist attitude, i.e. if you are not happy with what you have you ought to find happiness somewhere else, in someone else. It actually shows the joy to bear the glum of unsuccessful love. In fact success of love can be best defined not by how long people stay together, or how well people are settled in happily married life, it is actually is measured by how much one misses his/her love partner. Abhik missed brinda so much, but she is not there in this world any more. And it’s too miserable to see that Abhik could know this only after she left this mortal world, that this is the girl he had regular chats with, and whom he fell in love with. Too unhappy and saddening an ending. Still it depicts the central idea too well. Endless wait – that’s what we are compelled to do sometimes in life and you really can’t help it.


The movie, I am sure, must have had a great fan following in the modern Bengali youth. The way of showing things, the lifestyle of characters, the habits of people, trends – everything is so close to today’s young generation. People love to see the movies showcasing the way people communicate these days with text messages, yahoo messengers, internet chatting and all. They love to see CCD in the backdrop of a conversation over a cup of coffee. A lot can happen over a cup of coffee. Truly, so. And these days the movie makers are cashing on it. Coffee is doing its bit in popularizing things. And the subtly shoot scenes where the movie performed the promotional acts of its sponsors were so intricate and interesting. I loved the banner that was floating in a gust of air. It was showing the picture of air blowing gently. At the same time spice jet ad spiced the scene of this modern film, the prop is actually good enough to show that this is not a story of an endless wait of two lovers in Saratchandra’s classics. Similiary I liked all of them, the Compaq laptop, the reliance communication network, the popular Bengali news channel Star Ananda. This is marketing at its best.


Now, sorry to mention issues of marketing in praising an artwork of class. But frankly, I liked this movie so much I don’t have much word to say about it. The adjective ‘indescribable’ would best suit it. And I am sure it would, as myself have seen it third time in three weeks. After all I liked this movie because, who knows, like the light that fell on the Frida Kahlo’s self portrait in Brinda’s room, there isn’t also a beam of light that’s falling on my own portrait… who knows, it’s not showing the endless wait in my life as well. Now don’t make a question mark on your face. That’s a long story, and this blog is too small to tell you that tale. So let it be some other time. And indeed, “Certain things are best left unsaid.”

No comments:

Post a Comment