Thursday, October 1, 2009

Nudging a nudge

The above usage might not have been proper, but am feeling the nudge to use this word more and more, and just checked my desktop WordWeb[1] to ensure that I can dare to use the word once as a verb and then as a noun in my latest blog title. I felt the nudge from two persons in last two days. Yesterday we had a discussion with part of our EC[2] and few KTM advisors. And in that meeting KTM Kunal used the word at least 4 times. He might have been nudged by the book Nudge[3] that he had recently read. But it was he who nudged us to learn this word. Nudged ‘us’ – means not only me, but there are more people who are feeling the same spree. I heard Abdul Bhaiya discussing about Kunal’s using the word too often in yesterdays meeting, and now, today we heard KTM Amit using the same word again in today’s usual toastmasters’ meeting, which for this week, was unusually scheduled on a Thursday. The reason is, tomorrow is someone’s birthday, our VP-Ed Ankit’s – along with the ‘father of the nation’s. We won’t have our meeting venue open for tomorrow, a holiday. Calcutta Chambers of Commerce will be closed. Holidays are galore for last couple of weeks, festive season is in progress. No doubt, everybody is happy for it.




But even I am in a holiday mood already. I have been dating different gals for the last three days. And today when I was on a date, I was practically nudging a bit. I am not doing an uphill task, nor have I done any significant contribution to the club till date, but am terribly enjoying my role as VP-PR. Everyone who speaks out in front of me is being nudged to step forward towards joining the toastmasters club, or at least towards attending a meeting as a guest. I met a chat friend today. We know each other from long ago, since our college days, but only virtually. Banglalive.com, a few emails, Google-talk and all – these were by far our dating venues. And we met just today. We had lunch together, we watched a movie, and all these while I was trying to impress her. I was trying to do so, as the VP-PR in me was nudging me from within, to try and persuade this girl to attend today’s toastmasters meeting. I even could afford a pickup and drop facility by ‘hired taxi’ for her so that she is enough nudged to be there at the meeting and don’t worry about the hectic travel to and from Park Street. We reached there half an hour early, we entered the attached CCD outlet but the jam-packed hall nudged us to leave CCD and resort to the KFC on the other side of the road. First, we ensconced ourselves in the red couch at KFC, and then while I was enjoying a delectable bite from the Kentucky-fried-chicken’s crispy golden leg piece, I was praying to almighty, may the KTM’s meeting for today is enough fun-filled and it maintains the high quality that it has benchmarked for itself. It was necessary for my guest to feel the nudge. And at the end of the meeting, when we were returning, and we were talking voraciously, I felt, that she felt it. The small bite of KTM experience that she had today is enough to make her hungry for the coming days. And am sure, she will return to future meetings, if not the very next week. She was speaking volumes about how Ankit was nodding and encouraging her to keep on speaking while she was on stage for the table topics, how Kunal’s eyes were so attentively fixed on her when she was talking, how graceful she felt about the way Abdul bhaiya evaluated Stacey. In short, she was spell-bound, she was mesmerized, and she was marveled. She liked the people, she liked the meeting, and she loved the toastmasters’ style. My nudge was nothing but successful today.


Nudge can and will always be successful if you nudge from within. No matter how difficult the task is, or how distant the goal is, it’s the nudge which seems like a tiny push apparently, but itself is a big step in your own success story. Constant nudging will ensure the tryst with your coveted destiny.


So, keep nudging, don’t settle! :)




Footnotes:

1. A very handy windows application for dictionary cum reference, and I suggest you to get it installed on your machine.
2. Short form for Executive Committee. In any Toastmaster club we have to form this committee with few officers who will take care and govern the club for certain tenure.
3. You can have more info about this book at http://www.nudges.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment