Saturday, February 13, 2010

Cramped CAT



When was in college, I used to see batch-mates studying for CAT and all such exams, I was in no mood. Thought it's enough to get a job that offers 15k salary p.m. But when landed in reality, could easily assess the value of an MBA degree. When I was a kid, and did well in Xth Board, ppl around me anticipated I would become an engineer and doctor, but a year ago when I was a Marketing Engineer, in a French MNC dealing in the power and transport sector, I could see what returns an engineering degree can fetch. I used to just print crores of pages and scan personal documents of seniors. And I knew hell couldnt be worse!



I had a little interest in finance/ share trading/ investment/ entrepreneurship and a lot of affinity towards spending money, and obviously the desire for earning the same to empower myself. And I clubbed them together, and what came out is this career option - An MBA degree, but only from the top 20/ top 30 colleges in India, otherwise return on investment (high course fees and two years time) won't be good enough. And then started to THINK about preparation. But got lazy, sat for CAT 2007, got 96.7%ile overall, with great DA and good QA, but pathetically low in VA (around 45%ile, as i remember). I knew being from a vernacular medium this bilayiti language is the demon.



I made plans for CAT '08, purchased old IMS materials from college street in Kolkata, and also even took the TIME test series (previous year, i didnt have any book/ material/ course or even these AIMCATS)... but the materials gathered dusts perpetually. Was doing good in mocks. had a high hope as usual. But at the end, it was Fiasco, CAT '08 - 75%ile, with QA and DI above 85%ile, and VA as low as 16/17 %ile with negative score. I bought forms for NITIE, IMT, MDI, SP JAIN, - all wastage of money! fared badly in SNAP, JMET and NMAT.



And then started preparing seriously in a small group of three. We were doing well for first 3 months, my focus was solely on VA. and then occurred the accident. the other two of my group got smitten in love, and the functioning of the study group collapsed. the situation at work was getting bitter and bitter, and I decided to resign, got 2 months time before CAT, but was not honest enough. Only spent time with improving my VA skills. And the result was reaped. Was getting highest %iles in VA in Mocks. finally exams came. IIFT - 17.5 only, XAT - 92%ile (expected 96-97%ile, and the XIMB app fees were wasted), initially never thought about GIM for quality issue, and now was thinking - want of choice! Alas, it was too late now, dates are over! JMET - no rank even. after FMS test, I was delighted after having an expected score of 250 and knowing that last year a score of 230 fetched an interview call. But then only 350 around students were called for 71 odd seats, and I was not lucky enough to be there in that list. And now just waiting for CAT in which I could only attempt 42-45, and i have heard of 50+ attempting candidates in umpteen number. So keeping my ten fingers crossed. And then I have a knack in creativity (design based, and am little fond of communication development of late, am part of a Toastmasters Club in the city) - and also do freelance design jobs. So waiting avidly for MICAT!



When I left my job I was confident enough with my funds, but cash flow was pathetic, and that financial might collapsed, thinking about joining back to the same post at same pay scale at the same hell of a company.



Lost almost all the races so far, gained something - experience. And that invigorates me for one more endeavour - looking forward to November 2010.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Me too in the same boat.

    resigned my job,left with a solitary call from MICA

    what other calls do you have.Want to get in touch with you.My emailId is sasikiranreddy@gmail.com.I stay in bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes buddy, so many are on the same boat, soooo many so that we can even write a novel like jerome k jerome with a title "many men on a boat", and life's so tough that we are not in water, but in "soup"!

    ReplyDelete