Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Ice Breaker - My Project 1 Speech


Mr. Toastmaster, fellow toastmasters and guests, this world is so big, and this guy, standing in front of you, is so small, yet a long memory he has been carrying for the last 24 years of his life… And he, through the next few minutes, would take you through an unknown alley… the oblivious memory lane of his yester years.

Even I am, quite naturally, oblivious of what happened on the world environment day in the year 1985. But I am pretty sure that on that very day there was an unnecessary burden on the world environment as this innocently looking fellow took birth on this mother-earth and increased the already exorbitantly growing population.

I was born in a middle class Bengali family in Durgapur, and to my parents - dad, currently a retired school teacher and my mom, a simple and sensible housewife all throughout her life. Three and a half years before my human incarnationJ, there came a little guest too in my family – my elder brother, who is now settled in Bangalore and working in an MNC on telecom.

And now about my own childhood, well I can not tell you more, as I hardly remember what sort of things I did, what type of intelligible phrases I used to babble, or what kind of rap music would I create when I used to cry those cacophonies to express my feelings. But as I remember, despite an effacing effect of time and age, I was a guy, bit shy and reserved. But I was not quite an introvert. I guess, the correct word would be ‘ambivert’, i.e. talking on specific occasions or in a specific group of people, and simultaneously keeping mum else where. I was quite often so quiet, that fellow students in my class who used to have fun and enjoy in the most childish ways of childhood, must have imagined me the leader of the opposition. I was such a disciplined guy, until, one day when the breaking news was that I have beaten a fellow girl of my class with my umbrella. I hope that was the beginning of my becoming a not so good boy. But I continued doing good during my school in academics. I completed both my Xth and XIIth from a Durgapur school. I got the taste of an achievement for the first time when the Xth board result was announced, and I could know that I have been 2nd in my hometown and 24th in the state board. I was on cloud nine. Until then, I never dreamt big, but it was really one of those very few memories when I felt great for what I have done in my life. I never felt the same joy further. Because I never did something like that in my life ahead. And when I was in college, I screwed up my grade points big time, much the way the guys did in the “5 point someone.” I got eight supplementary papers in my 4 years’ B.Tech. course, and I struggled a lot in my final semester to come out of my coveted institution with due dignity. NIT Kurukshetra bade me good bye with two handsomely looking jobs as well. And the next month, I joined one of them, ALSTOM – a French MNC dealing in EPC in the power sector. I was relieved as I got a secured path in my life, through which I could traverse the distance called life and at the end of every month I could bring home some money. But friends, by now I am nearly 24 and I have gained something that I can safely call “An Experience” and that tells me two things –

1. I need money
2. But in a way which suits me better.

Now you must be wondering, what am I going to tell, its nothing, but just the fact that very recently, even in the amidst of this recession period, I have left my job and haven’t applied for any. I am searching for something new, something unique that suits me better. I want to do what I feel I should do, and what my company pays me for not doing.

Well, I am here to talk about my life, and not about my future plans, so better I start sharing with you some more in depth knowledge of the specimen standing in front of you. I have been an enthusiastic and optimistic person from childhood. I am a hard worker too, especially when I like what I am doing. I have two good hobbies, both related to some sort of creativity. The first one of them is web designing. I have been a passionate internet surfer like many, the difference is, I felt that I should not be restricting myself in just logging on to others’ websites, but also should create webpages for others to view them. The second hobby that I have, is of making craftwork, I really feel an indescribable joy when I see scraps turning out to be showpieces or some utility in the process of value addition as well as beautification.

I feel good when I listen Tagore-songs, I love to eat chicken curry and I like Satyajit Roy, the person he was… the list is so long, I am not going in to much details. But one thing I must mention, I am not quite a movie freak, nor do I watch English movies that often. But every time when I watch the last few minutes of the movie “Shawshank’s Redemption”, I literally shed tears in joy; yes I pronounced the word correctly – JOY, because it shows me the victory of two things, against all odds. – the Dream and the Hope. Inspired by the movie, I have cherished a big dream in my heart, and I have high hopes too, to fulfil them in near future. And I wish, to get all your wishes, wishing me, my wishes come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment